This week celebrates the 10th Anniversary of the opening of the Steveston Tram Building.
On May 3, 2013, the opening was marked with an official ribbon cutting by City of Richmond Mayor Malcolm Brodie and City Councillors. Retired BC Electric Railways Motorman Vic Sharman was also on hand to help cut the ribbon. Vic shared a few words at the opening, regaling the audience with tales from his days of driving Interurban trams. Actors dressed in period costumes evoking days passed, mingled in-character with delighted visitors.
Tram Car 1220 has been given a makeover since 2013. Between 2016 and 2018, dedicated volunteers and staff restored the tram car to the beauty it is today. This year many interactive exhibits have been added to the Tram building, including a display celebrating the legacy of these volunteers and the importance of the Interurban trams to Richmond’s history.
The Steveston Tram is open Tues – Sun 12-4pm until May 19th. From May 20th to September 4th, the Tram will be open daily 10am to 5pm. Admission is free.